“The Miracle isn’t that I Finished, The Miracle is that I had the Courage to Start”

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Great Run

Thanks for coming to my Pity Party last week.  I really appreciate all the encouraging words and advice.  You are all amazing 
After, I cried pretty much all afternoon.  I started researching the Galloway Method that Morgan over at CAUTION: Redhead Running  suggested.  This method is a RUN/WALK theory.   

Run Injury Free with Jeff Galloway is the Motto.

I scanned all over the internet checking out this method.  There are so many people who rave about it.  Some have used it to just finish a race but a lot have used it to PR, How is that possible.  Well hey if it will help me cross the finish line I am in.

Here is the Galloway Method in a Nut Shell:  You run for x amount of minutes and you walk for x amount minutes.  You do this method from the start to the finish of your run.  The idea is that your legs will be stay strong to carry you through to the finish.  You determine how many minutes your run/walk.

Sunday was my long run (8 miles).  I would have loved to run in the beautiful outdoors, but with winds at 45 mph I had to hit the Mill.  I decided to try out the Galloway Method to see what run/walk ratio I was going to need to do, it would be easy to monitor with the timer on the Mill.  I decided to try run 5 minutes walk 1 minute.  That seemed to be the popular theory.   I walked 1 mile for a warm-up and then headed into a nice easy run (10.56 mile) for 5 minutes and then walked 1 minute.  I repeated several times until I completed my 8 miles.  Since the Mill only runs for 1 hour I had to do 2 sessions. I felt like a total runner having to reset the Mill to finish up my run. I stretch in between sessions; my calves get really tight on the Mill. Do yours?  

I thought I would have a hard time with the run/walk method. Surprisingly I felt really good.  It felt weird at first, but then I got into a rhythm.  Actually I did not even feel like I walked any.  It was a GREAT run.  And I needed a great run.  I was dripping sweat, I looked liked I just got out of the shower.  I love to sweat!

Do you like to sweat when you work out?


I will be doing some more research on the Galloway Method, but so far it looks like I have found a way to boost my confidence and finish my long run strong.  I have no doubt that I will be able to finish my Half Marathon on April 23rd in Style…

Have you ever used the Galloway Method?


Thank you, Thank you for all your support and advice! 

If your going to run, Run Half Crazy!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to sweat! I tried Galloway for one run. I hate walking because the whole time I'm thinking gee I could run faster LOL! That being said.. it is a GREAT program! I tell people about it all the time.

Jen Feeny said...

Yay!!! I am so happy you looked in to it and tried it out! I was pretty confident it would be just the thing to help you reach the finish line come race day! Good luck my dear!!!!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

I used "run a mile, walk a minute" after a minor bout with ITB pain after Kentucky Derby Marathon. Great tool!

Running Ricig said...

I'm interested to hear how that method goes. I've never tried it.

I LOVE to sweat when I workout, but it is SUPER gross to peel clothes off afterwards.

Michael said...

I kind of did that on my run this weekend. At the end of every mile I walked whatever was left on the clock (in seconds) it probably wasn't enough of a break, but seemed to help. Hope it works for you.

Penny said...

I have heard of Gallowy method. If it gets you across that finish line that is all that matters. So happy you found something to help you trough this rough time. I love to sweat. It's not a workout if I'm not sweating. Get rid of all those toxins in my body.

Jen Feeny said...

Just saw this post from Kerrie and I think you'll feel even better about run/walk after you read it: http://momvsmarathon.blogspot.com/2011/04/hittin-ya-with-18-bullets-for-18-miles.html

Michelle said...

I feel like I've been hearing a lot about Galloway lately - I'm glad it worked so well for your 8-miler. Can't wait to hear how it goes as you go forward.

coach dion said...

I am forever tell under trained athletes to run there marathons like that. Don't run till you have to walk, you will just get sore... plan your walks from the start, maybe walk the water tables or at every mile marker for 1 min. and yes it does work.

Anonymous said...

Galloway is the way to go, woman. I have heard nothing but positive things. (hugs)

Kerrie said...

Oh man! Injuries suck (understatement of the year). Last year, I had to drop from my first full to a half and then walk the half. I hadn't been diagnosed yet, but I knew something wasn't right. Glad I didn't try to run the full! I had a fracture.

So my goal became to work on my strength and weight loss until I could run again.

I am loving the Jeff Galloway program. I am running less and running faster. It seems totally backwards, but it works! Morgan rocks for suggesting it to you.

So glad we could connect here in bloggyland. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I think, built in walk break helps you run faster, longer during the running part, which explains the PRs.