“The Miracle isn’t that I Finished, The Miracle is that I had the Courage to Start”

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Injury Injury Injury

Running can be a pretty SIMPLE sport but by no means is it an EASY sport.
The last few weeks I have been reading several blogs that are battling injuries, and most of them are out of the game.  Some have had to pull out of races.  I am so sad for these runners,  but I  completely understand what they are going through. 
Running is pretty hard on the body because of  the constant pounding our bodies endure.  Especially the legs and feet.  Although there are a number of precautions we runner’s take to avoid injuries (stretching, cross training and rest days) those precautions are not 100%.
 Any runner who runs on a regular basis is likely to have an injury at some point during their running. The injuries can vary,  some being mild enough that the runner can continue running and training.  While others are so serious that the runner has to completely stop running and training until the injury heals completely…

Are you injured right now?

Mentally, injuries take a toll on runners.  No matter if you can keep running or not.  Well for me it does anyway.  I am injured and fighting through the mental game of running and training.  I have been very lucky that I have been able to continue to run, not as much as I would like.  I also have a great running bud, JL, who is keeping me real.  And hey, at least  I am still in the game. 

How do you handle injuries Mentally?

I have a Half Marathon in 2 weeks and 2 days.  I do not feel anywhere near prepared to race.  I just want to cry.. My mental game is so off.  Due mostly to my  injury (plantar fasciitis) in my foot.  I have not been able to run farther than 7 miles.  I have been on the bike doing cross training.  And my endurance seems great.  But I am starting to panic a little, well actually a lot.  I know that this will not be my best race and I will be happy just to finish,  even if I have to walk/run.   There is no shame in that right?  Please tell me I am going to be okay?  It’s okay to cry a little?

 I have decided to take the OKC Half Marathon (May 1st) off the table and take 4-6 weeks off from running to let my foot heal.  I will continue to ride the bike and do lots of cross training.  Any suggestions?  

Thanks for listening, and I will try to keep my head up and my spirits high over the next few weeks….


If your going to run, Run Half Crazy

8 comments:

Jen Feeny said...

Look up the galloway method and figure out a ratio that will work for you. There is no shame in run/walking if it allows you to finish the race. Sometimes doing a "fun run" where you're not worried about your time are the best runs of all. Why not live it up, make a tu-tu, or wear something fun?!?! Make the most of your situation and be thankful your injury has not taken you out completely out of the game. And yes, cry, get mad, get frustrated, etc... it's all part of the process of dealing with the injury, just make sure you also get over it. The good thing you have going for you is that you can still run if needed, by listening to your body and backing off after the race, you'll give it time to heal. Keep up the xtraining and stay on top of the R.I.C.E'ing. PF sucks, I dealt with a minor case of it when I first started running and wouldn't wish it on anyone. A trick Spike has for it, as he used to have MAJA issues with it, roll your foot over a frozen juice concentrate. It's the right size and shape and you can continually reuse. Good luck chica!

Anonymous said...

hi kittee! Thanks for stopping by my blog.
There is NO SHAME in walk/running. I love Maia at Reasons 2 Run and she does 9 &1s. (9 minutes running, 1 min. walking) and has done dozens of marathons. If its good enough for her, its good enough for anyone!

Hope you come to WA someday to do a 1/2!

Penny said...

I agree with Veronica as long as you cross the finish line that all that count even if you had to crawl across it. I agree with not doing the OKC HALF give you foot time to mend. Hang in there Kittee.

Anonymous said...

There is no shame in walking if you have to. I would probably walk every mile or so just to conserve some energy for the later miles. You'll do great!!! Start visualizing success

Michelle said...

There is absolutely no shame in walking. You should do what you need to do for your body so you can cross that finish line. I think taking some off after this race is probably a good idea - you'll come back stronger for it!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Agree with all the above. The commitment to train and tackle a race should be applauded, I mean how many people NEVER to run half crazy?!

I know you will get through this injury and walking does not mean weakness!

Thinking of you Kittee!

DeLynn said...

Love you Kittee!!! Hope your foot feels better!

Anonymous said...

Morgan is right. That's how I did my training early on before I had a plan. It allowed me to slowly build the miles. If you feel like you can do Galloway style run/walk without prolonging the injury, go for it.