“The Miracle isn’t that I Finished, The Miracle is that I had the Courage to Start”

Sunday, January 23, 2011

It Begins with a Long Slow Run

I woke up excited to start my new training schedule.  It begins with a long slow run.  I was hoping to be out in the fresh air getting me some good ol vitamin D. But I wanted to get my run in before the football games started.  So I had to hit the Mill, the temp outside was 32 with 20mph wind, felt like 20.  Yikes!  That is what I get for living in the Texas Panhandle.  Wonder if the Hubs would consider moving to a runner friendly cliamte that lasted year round?  Hmmmm   Note to self, ask Hubs...

I set up my laptop on a chair in front of the mill.  Sorry forgot to take a pic.  Remember I am a Newbie.  Put in Secondhand Lions,  I knew I would need something to keep me entertained and this movie makes me laugh.  I ran 5 miles @ 12:00 pace.  60 minutes...  I was nervous about the pace being slow, well actually it wasn't to bad.  I had a good run. 

Usually when I run outside a 12:00 pace feels like a fast walk.  I usually do start a little slow but always pick up the pace once I get in a rhythm.

    Do you ever notice that you run a faster pace outside then on the treadmill?

Tomorrow is a REST day.  I have never taken Monday off during training.  This should be interesting.

I hope you all had a Fabulous Sunday!  The Hubs cooked so I am off to clean the kitchen....


4 comments:

Kara said...

Hubby went out for a run and had to come back in for a jacket, brrr. Enjoy your Monday off!!

Scott Flathouse said...

I admire you for being committed to a program! I forced myself to get off my lazy butt and get 3 miles in. Winter training is tough!

Unknown said...

We love "Secondhand Lions" at my house. What a great movie. And yes, I run way faster outside than on the treadmill. Just found your blog! If you need advice on a half in Oregon, I'd love to help.

Anonymous said...

I go back and forth with speeds. Sometimes I am really fast on the treadmill and slow outside and sometimes it's opposite.