“The Miracle isn’t that I Finished, The Miracle is that I had the Courage to Start”

Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Need For Speed

Who loves Speed Training?  Pick me, Pick me, I do, I do! 

Winter has set in and let me tell ya, I am not liking the 20 degree temps.  The treadmill and I are not very good friends.  As I said in my last post I started speed training last year and yes I do love it.  But I have never attempted it with the treadmill.  I figured I better have a plan of attack so I can stay focused.  Lucky for me I had just read an article in Runners World about training on the mill, and it included speedwork.  Wahoo!   

Running clothes (did not include long tights, gloves or a winter hat),  Check.  Water bottle, Check.  Sony MP3 with tunes, Check.  Article to keep me focused or distracted, you pick  Check.   Towel, Check. Stretch, Check.  I am all set.

I started with a 3 minute walk at 4 mph and then bumped it up to 5.5 mph and ran for another 3 minutes to make sure I was nice and warm.  The plan was to increase speed for 400 yds then jog 400 yds and repeat.  Increasing speed each time.  First 400 ran at 6 mph jogged 5.5 mph.  I was able to get up to 7.5 mph with a jog at 6 mph.  On my last 400 I maxed out at a speed of 8.0 mph.  I really had to push myself, but it felt great.  Sweating like crazy, where's the towel... I walked out a half mile to cool down.  I ended up running 3.5 miles not including warm-up or cool-down.  Not to shabby for first speed training of the year.  Next time I will shoot for 4.5 miles.

The Need For Speed was conqured on the treadmill!  I do prefer to run outside but I have to say that maybe the treadmill and I can be friends once in a while. It's going to be a long winter.

Do you like Speed Training? Why or Why not?
How do you speed train?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome speed workout.
I go back and forth when it comes to loving/hating speed workouts. I think I have to be in the right mood for it.

Michelle said...

Nice job on the speed on the 'mill. I haven't tried a speed workout on the treadmill yet but will have to soon given the amount of snow outside!

Just came across your blog! I'm planning to run my first half this year! Looking forward to following your progress.